Who is LUMA?
Meet the friendly faces behind LUMA!
[Top (L to R): Kenneth Cooper; Ron Morgan; Kate Martin; Veronica Popova; David Johnson; Bottom (L to R): Michael Han; Gloria Franco; Elaine McElhinney]
The hotel team reflects the city’s ambition and LUMA’s illuminating spirit, each bringing a unique background, dynamic energy, and skill set to this hotel and its new Jose Garces restaurant, Ortzi.
- With more than 20 years of experience in the hospitality industry, Kate Martin brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise as LUMA’s General Manager. Prior to LUMA, Martin worked as General Manager of Hotel Chandler, where she led the team as the hotel underwent a full-property renovation. “With an iconic, unbeatable location, our team is looking forward to carrying the ambition and buzz of both Times Square and Bryant Park into our hotel with energetic service & attention to detail.”
- Serving as Ortzi’s General Manager, Ron Morgan brings more than 15 years of food and beverage experience to the new Basque-inspired restaurant. Working previously at top New York City restaurants such as Boqueria Flatiron and Convivio, Morgan will be responsible for maintaining standards of excellence at Ortzi.
- Ortzi Chef de Cuisine, Michael Han, holds a Bachelor of Science in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales University and brings over a decade of experience working in high-end hotels and several Michelin-starred restaurants in New York and Chicago.
- Director of Sales & Marketing Veronica Popova possesses over 20 years of hospitality experience with a background in sales, marketing and management. On what drew her to LUMA she states, “I wanted to work somewhere that was aware; a place that delivers an authentic, unique experience to every guest."
- Elaine McElhinney has been appointed as LUMA’s Director of Human Resources after earning Human Resources experience at The Carlyle. When it comes to her unique approach to Human Resources, McElhinney has one prerequisite: “A genuine smile. It’s surprising how much extending a warm demeanor can change a person’s day.”
- David Johnson will lead the front of office staff as Director of Front Office Operations. With a background at a number of Manhattan hotels, Johnson brings a wealth of New York hospitality knowledge to LUMA. Johnson states, “LUMA maintains an uncompromising attention to detail complete with personalized training for every department to incorporate both brand and service standards.”
- Gloria Franco has been appointed to serve as Director of Housekeeping and brings a strong background in all aspects of customer service and support with experience spanning across the local area from the TriBeCa Grand Hotel to Teaneck Marriott. “My favorite part of the job is the turndown service,” stated Franco. “I know an unexpected amenity will put a smile on the guest’s face after a long day in the city.”
- LUMA’s Engineering department will be led by 20 year industry veteran Director Kenneth Cooper, who formerly served as the Chief Engineer at the Executive Hotel Le Soleil N.Y. He was attracted to LUMA for its unique and fresh approach to hospitality.